[DEV] FoV + lightshader


The field of view now changes when zooming and dashing to give a sense of focus and speed.


I also made a system that makes objects between 2 checkpoints pulse. The intensity and speed needs further tweaking though.


[DEV] Speedrunning with generated instanced mesh walls

After the feedback we had from the play-testing day we had a lot of mixed opinions about the difficulty scale of the game. That got us thinking on how we could make it more challenging for more experienced players and still make it not to difficult for new and inexperienced players. We decided to implement some kind of speedrun mode for the players who want to go for the extra satisfaction of being on top of the leader board. But to really give a meaning to your own high-score you need to be able to compare it with other player. So I implemented an online leaderboard that syncs up with a local version in game. For this we used a plugin called Epicleaderboard because it has a free hosting and dashboard service.Untitled2.png

I also made some improvements to the performance by make a generated wall that uses instaneced meshes instead of static meshes. This reduced our drawcalls with 5 times less than we had before.9a11c629b6df7656b2f525a393ce8e47

– Maxim

[DEV] Back to 1.13, spline system, steamlined code and improved code

Last week started off with one day hell and back, we reverted back from unreal engine 1.14 to 1.13 due to progress limiting bugs in the 1.14 version of the engine. This was not easy and basically meant that we had to revert back to a project from a week before and implement everything back manually since the unreal assets do not work in previous versions. So if anyone actually reads these posts, I can give you one tip, do never update to the last version of an engine no matter how shiny the new features are, the bugs will be worse (some example of the biggest ones where imports for skeletal meshes where totally broken and crashed the editor, cloth physics where broken, etc..).

After that I started on a spline system that would be used for a new shader Nico is making with a hotspot on it that moves between checkpoints and activates actors around it (lighting it up). 6e6aed0f6ecf8b5e4bbeb6eeb7f6d70b

Other than that I did alot of tweaks to existing code and blueprints to allow Olmo to put the animations in more easily and fixed alot of bugs that came with it and became clear after implementing the final animations. Especially the wallrun needed alot fo fixes to work well in 2 ways since I only tested that before in one position and rotation.

Finally I just did some general stuff to make sure the experience the other students who tested our game got was the best we could give.

– Maxim

[DEV] Ledgegrab and Menu system

This week I implemented a ledgegrab (without animations). It uses 2 raycasts to determine where the ledge is and if you have to grab it or not.


I also started with the mainmenu with placeholder items and graphics. We wanted to not have a menuheavy design for the game so I played around with a smooth camera transition to the playercharacter when starting the game, to give the illusion that you where always in the gameworld.