After the feedback we had from the play-testing day we had a lot of mixed opinions about the difficulty scale of the game. That got us thinking on how we could make it more challenging for more experienced players and still make it not to difficult for new and inexperienced players. We decided to implement some kind of speedrun mode for the players who want to go for the extra satisfaction of being on top of the leader board. But to really give a meaning to your own high-score you need to be able to compare it with other player. So I implemented an online leaderboard that syncs up with a local version in game. For this we used a plugin called Epicleaderboard because it has a free hosting and dashboard service.
I also made some improvements to the performance by make a generated wall that uses instaneced meshes instead of static meshes. This reduced our drawcalls with 5 times less than we had before.
Last week started off with one day hell and back, we reverted back from unreal engine 1.14 to 1.13 due to progress limiting bugs in the 1.14 version of the engine. This was not easy and basically meant that we had to revert back to a project from a week before and implement everything back manually since the unreal assets do not work in previous versions. So if anyone actually reads these posts, I can give you one tip, do never update to the last version of an engine no matter how shiny the new features are, the bugs will be worse (some example of the biggest ones where imports for skeletal meshes where totally broken and crashed the editor, cloth physics where broken, etc..).
After that I started on a spline system that would be used for a new shader Nico is making with a hotspot on it that moves between checkpoints and activates actors around it (lighting it up).
Other than that I did alot of tweaks to existing code and blueprints to allow Olmo to put the animations in more easily and fixed alot of bugs that came with it and became clear after implementing the final animations. Especially the wallrun needed alot fo fixes to work well in 2 ways since I only tested that before in one position and rotation.
Finally I just did some general stuff to make sure the experience the other students who tested our game got was the best we could give.
The build is up for download at Production build
This week I have mainly focused on implementing a wall run to give a better platforming feeling. The wall runs are predefined to make sure you cannot break out of the levels.
I also started with a collectible to test an implement a base saving system, this can be further expanded for other stuff
This week i began with implementing the menu and option menu with graphics and sound options.
Added a action combat mode to the aiming for easier aiming.
fixed and improved a lot of systems.
This week I implemented a ledgegrab (without animations). It uses 2 raycasts to determine where the ledge is and if you have to grab it or not.
I also started with the mainmenu with placeholder items and graphics. We wanted to not have a menuheavy design for the game so I played around with a smooth camera transition to the playercharacter when starting the game, to give the illusion that you where always in the gameworld.
This week I have made a test and presentation level to show of the current gameplay, because the old one was outdated.
Further more I did some work on the movement to improve on it and it is getting close to the final result. I also added full controller support for the movement
I have created a portal hub level where you can step into portals to load the levels, together with a loadingscreen.
I also made some level mechanics like trembling tiles, moving platfroms and improved on the recharge field to give it more different mechanics to choose from.
The moving platform makes use of some editor tools to easily customize the platform for each level and situation, with unlimited checkpoints to move between
This week I improved the general movement to be more smooth and fixed several bugs.
I also started to implement new features.
Checkpoints and respawn:
I added checkpoints that can be layed out through the levels. Made it so it is easily adjustable for each situation with custom editor tools.
Shows an indicator just under the character for more feedback where the player lands.
recharges your dash and jumps when moved through.
For the first week I started implementing the most important feature of our game, the movement. The double jump and directional dash (forward, left and right).
Jump and dash example