[DEV] Options menu and improved systems

This week i began with implementing the menu and option menu with graphics and sound options. capture3

Added a action combat mode to the aiming for easier aiming.Untitled.png

fixed and improved a lot of systems.

– Maxim

Advertisements

[ART]PortalHub and StoneMeshes

This week I’ve spend most of my time working on taking the idea of the artlevel Olmo created and making the portalhub out of it. The main idea is that you have 4 sides with 4 differnt portals to go to the different levels. With a small jumping puzzle you get to the desired portal.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

After that I started with making the hi poly meshes of the environmental rocks. Those will be used to fill up the non human made environment.

-Tigo

[Art] Main character design

Now that we finally established a definitive artstyle for our game, Tigo could continue to work on the environments while I designed the main character. Since the player is always looking at the avatar model, we wanted to make sure that the mesh looked and animated nicely. The main idea of the character was to design a simple, female, sci-fi character with a cloak. From early on we decided to give her a slender build to represent her speed and agility.We also wanted to accentuate legs of the character with clothing, this reflects the fact that running and jumping are the main types of interaction with the environment.

sketches_02Early design sketches, illustrating the slender build with accentuated legs.

After making a fair ammount of thumbnails, I decided to block out the big volumes of the character in 3D. I used Zbrush for this. After I was happy with the main shape, I detailed the parts made of cloth, to later bake down to normal maps.

wip_01WIP sculpt of the main character

wip_03The final shapes blocked out in Zbrush.

Then I took the mesh into 3DS Max to create the low-poly mesh and design the hard surface elements of the Avatar, like the helm and the legs. I wanted to create a clean topology for the character, but I allowed myself to use a fair ammount of polys to get the shape definition that I wanted.

wip_04CloseUp of the topology flow of the low-poly mesh.

wip_06The final low-poly mesh, optimisation still needs to be done. Some elements need to be added.

After I made the low-poly basemesh, I imported it into unreal to see the result. Some optimisation still needs to happen and some detailed elements still need to be added.

highresscreenshot00001The final basemesh rendered in Unreal, with testmaterials applied.

Olmo Potums

[DEV] Ledgegrab and Menu system

This week I implemented a ledgegrab (without animations). It uses 2 raycasts to determine where the ledge is and if you have to grab it or not.

Capture2.PNG

I also started with the mainmenu with placeholder items and graphics. We wanted to not have a menuheavy design for the game so I played around with a smooth camera transition to the playercharacter when starting the game, to give the illusion that you where always in the gameworld.

701f87e69a094339541a313bd7f02653

-Maxim

[Art] Folliage, material and presentatio

Last week I mainly worked on folliage. The goal was to create an art level which looked exactly like how the end result would look. My job was to make all the plants in there.

highresscreenshot00001highresscreenshot00000

After that I’ve adjusted my material from earlier to look more cartoony with less values. I kept only the big and medium details and used a noise generator that olmo created to have the more cartoony look.

highresscreenshot00002

Finally I’ve made a presentation that we could use for the milestone we had. I took some slides from the art document and some from the pitch doc what still remained of the initial idea and then adjusted and made some new pages as well.

FusionPoint_Presentation-1.jpg

Tigo

[Art] Overhaul of the environment art

With the milestone quickly approaching, we had to nail down the style of our game. We had an internal deadline to have a small environment fully worked out by the first milestone. In the previous weeks we were making our materials way too realistic, while we were actually trying to achieve a more stylized result. Also, the first tests with sculpting environment assets were not up to the standard we set for ourselves. The result: we had to remake almost all the static meshes in our game. It was a lot of work, but I’m happy about the result.

artstyle_olmo_01artstyle_olmo_02Example of environment assets. They are stylized but still take advantage of full PBR shading.

We also finished the design of an important aspect of our game, the Fusion Points. The goal of every level is to reactivate a Fusion Point and bring the environment back to life. They basically are the big milestone points in the game. Because of this, we wanted to have an iconic design for this object. I think it worked out pretty well.

bpr_renderSculpt of the Fusion Point Mesh.

When all the assets were ready, we had to put them together in an environment. We wanted to have dramatic, directional lighting in combination with small environment light in the scene itself. Another important element was the height fog that obscures the depths of the pits where the player jumps over. All of this creates a mysterious and adventurous atmosphere that we’re pretty happy with. The only thing we dont know yet is what we are going to put in the far distance of the levels.

highresscreenshot00000highresscreenshot00001highresscreenshot00003Screenshots of the final environment Art-test.

Olmo Potums