Last week I’ve made a new test level. I’ve made this new one because the old one became obsolete because of the tweaks on the character movement. It became way to small for the double jumps and dashes implemented.
This week I tried to define the material-aspects of the ruin assets. We want to give the impression that they are built with big, ancient stones. All the materials are going to be procuderally generated with Substance software, to make the asset creation easier.
Procedural moss on stone test.
I’ve created a document giving a bit more detail about the technical implementation of the game.
This week I improved the general movement to be more smooth and fixed several bugs.
I also started to implement new features.
Checkpoints and respawn:
I added checkpoints that can be layed out through the levels. Made it so it is easily adjustable for each situation with custom editor tools.
Shows an indicator just under the character for more feedback where the player lands.
recharges your dash and jumps when moved through.
This week, I tried to finalize the style in which we will make the 3D assets of our game. I experimented with aesthetic choices as well as workflow options. I ended up sculpting most assets in Zbrush, and baking the normals in 3DS max.
WIP of the asset sculpts.
I also explored the ways in which we could use modularity in our levels to make as few assets as possible. The final result of all this work is a small testscene to illustrate the aesthetic and scale of the game. There is still no material definition however, that will be something for next week.
Due to the Sci-Fi setting, a small number of assets can be used a lot.
Screenshots of the final composition.
GIF of the foliage material.
Last week I’ve made a small cave as a testing ground for the programmers. As they are trying to make the movement and jump mechanics feel really smooth we had to make something to easily test this.
For the first week of work I got to know Unreal 4. After corrupting the project a few times I wrote some basic health related classes.
For the first week I started implementing the most important feature of our game, the movement. The double jump and directional dash (forward, left and right).
Jump and dash example
An important part of our game’s aesthetic is the cloak of our main character. We would like to make it move in a realistic fashion with the help of PhysX. The idea behind it is that the character’s nimble movements get enhanced by the fluttering cape.
Although the PhysX engine is pretty robust, a lot of technical tweaking is necessary to make it work in a real-time environment. I used a simple testcharacter I already rigged and attatched the cloth asset to the skeleton. The trickiest part is setting up the collisions for the cloak, to make sure it doesn’t clip trough the character.
PhysX Cloth Setup in 3DS max
PhysX Cloth setup in Unreal
After I set up everything in Unreal, I imported some test animations and quickly made a functional Avatar based on the third person template in Unreal.
Previews of animations in Unreal with PhysX cloth enabled.
Playable Character in Unreal with PhysX cloth enabled.
There is still a lot of tweaking to do, but the base functionality is there.
This is the outline of our favorite game-pitch, a 3D platforming game in Unreal. We loved the idea so much that we made a seperate presentation for it.
Link to Pitch Document